Friday, July 13, 2007

sleeping thru the nite

guess who slept thru the nite on their own bed for the first time in months?


wombat!!!!
when i got out of the shower last nite as soon as i started to walk through the lounge room wombat got up and went into the bedroom hopped onto her bed, pushed the crumpled up blanket off with her paws, curled up and layed down (i didn't even mention the word "bedtime" to her and she hadn't been out for her last pee of the nite either but i figured since she was being so smart i would just leave her and tell zac to take her out when he got home from the gig he was at). i tucked her in and then went to bed (i even tried to coax her up onto the bed with me but she refused). zac came home probably an hour or so later but i don't think she got up to go out when he asked her if she needed to go "outside" (she knows that means backyard and gets up and runs to the backdoor if she wants out). i woke up this morning around 8:30 and felt around under the covers but no dog. i sat up and saw her curled up ontop of her blanket on her bed. i told zac and he said that's where she was when he went to bed (odd he didn't try to get the blanket out from under her and tuck her in cuz he's more worried about her being cold at nite than i am). so she slept through the nite there and even though she kinda woke up to us wispering about her she didn't come up on the bed. i must have fallen back asleep laying there cuz i woke up and it was 2 hours later and wombat was STILL on her bed (yea wombi!). i went over to her to tell her what a good dog she was and give her cuddles. then she jumped up on the bed to say good morning to zac and attack him with kisses. i lifted the blanket, she went under and straight back to sleep (zac calls her a canary dog cuz she can be super hyper but you put the blanket over and she goes straight back to sleep kinda like a bird in a cage when you put a blanket over so it thinks its night time).
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Canadian Bird said...

I linked onto your site through a comment you'd left on That's My Answer! I noticed b/c your name was listed as ozcanadian. I myself am a Canadian living in Texas at present, so I'm always looking for others out there in blogland (which I'm new to). I'm assuming then that you're Canadian too?
Anyhow...moving on...you MUST tell me how you've trained your dog to do this! I have 4 (yes, FOUR) of my own & would love to get them to start using their own bed. I'll miss their sweet cuddles, but not the constant dog hair in my bed, my eyes, my mouth...LOL

shawna said...

yes i am canadian, now migrated to australia. that nite was a one off thing apparently. the next nite she absolutely refused to go to her own bed and every nite since then its been her usual routine of go to bed on her own bed then crawl under the covers with us in the middle of the nite.

Canadian Bird said...

Ha! Aren't they fun...these pets of ours? Let me know if ever you figure it out. I'm going to need to do something about mine eventually...
Thanks for your reply!